Friday, June 14, 2013

Potato and Chicken Frittata with Carmelized Onions.

Let me start this out by saying I am not The Pioneer Woman. I try to channel my girl, Ree, while I'm cooking but I can't take pictures like her. Her food looks amazing. My food looks amazing in real life but not so much in pictures. One day when I have lots of money I'll buy a fancy butt camera and take nice pictures but for now, well, just know it looks good in person.

So, now that that's out of the way, what do you do when your egg basket looks like this?

 
You make a delicious frittata for dinner!
It starts right here, with a beautiful, well seasoned cast iron pan. 
To this beautiful piece of culinary equipment we'll add 2-3 T of butter (NOT margarine, butter.)
Once the butter has melted, add one onion, chopped. You're going to cook the onion until it changes from the Before to the After pic. This should take about 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
Before

After   

Meanwhile, peel and dice three potatoes. Three smallish potatoes are good. If you have larger ones, just one may be enough. These are the ones I used. 
They chopped up into this
 The onions should still be working at this point. 
Since those take a little bit, I like to get everything else ready. Once they're done the train gets moving and it's best if everything else is ready to go in the pan so you don't burn the garlic. Burnt garlic is gross.
Make sure whatever chicken you're using is shredded and ready for adding. I recommend about 2 cups.
Crack and beat your eggs. If you don't have a weirdo cheese hating husband put in 1 cup of mild cheddar.
Mince 2-3 cloves of garlic.
Figure out your spices.
I like some tarragon in it, along with salt, pepper and a little Old Bay.

Onions nice and caramelized? Add your garlic and your seasonings. 2 teaspoons Tarragon, generous salt, few cranks fresh pepper, 1 teaspoon Old Bay. Stir until you can start to smell the garlic. Then you're going to add your potatoes and chicken. Stir that around to combine. Make sure that everything is pretty evenly distributed. Imagine the horror of a chickenless bite!
Once you're set and happy with your chicken and potato distribution, pour your beaten eggs over the top.
Let this set up for a minute. This isn't going to cook on the stove top but you want the bottom to set up a little before you put it into the oven. You can tell when it's ready to go in the oven by the little steamy geyser holes that start to appear on the surface.
Once the holes appear, pop it in the oven and let it bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until it doesn't jiggle when you move the handle. 
Then slice it up!
This is a hit with my usually picky husband and daughter too!
 I always top mine with shredded cheddar. If you don't have a weirdo cheese hating husband your cheese will be inside already where it belongs. 
Frittata is pretty forgiving. I had a delicious one at my Blessingway for Little that had summer squash, tomato and spinach in it. 
Have you had or made frittata before? What's your favorite combination?

3 comments:

  1. Omg! Farmer Brown, that looks amaaaaazing and it probably won't take me 3 hours to make either! Where does one purchase a cast iron pan? Also, how does one go about seasoning it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought mine at Target! To season, rub in the fat of your choice (lard, tallow, coconut oil) inside and outside the pan. Preheat oven to 350. Invert pan over a baking sheet (to catch the drippings) and cook for a half an hour. Turn the oven off and let the pan cool off while it's still in there. Cook something fatty on it the first time - sausages or fry something.
    Every time you wash it (in just water!) dry it thoroughly and rub a thin layer of whatever fat you use on it and put it on the burner on low until it's dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious and I wish I had a piece right now (at work). You could put all the cheese in you wanted for me.

    I will say this about that. Most of the time when you see pictures of food that looks delicious, it's not edible.

    ReplyDelete