Thursday, May 2, 2013

Farmer Brown Plants a Bed

Front bed is IN folks! Frost date around here is May 10. I thought about waiting until then but figured I'd push it a week. It's warming up and the forecast says it should continue on that path so I went ahead yesterday and put everything in. Other members of my local homesteaders group all had everything in so I figured I better keep up with the crowd.
Front bed is:
  • Few rows of corn
  • Zucchini and yellow crook neck squash
  • 2 kinds of beans (one bush, one runner)
  • Snow peas
  • Pumpkins
  • Cucumbers (eventually)
Eventually on the cucs. The last few years I've planted some that produced huge beautiful cucumbers but I realized when I went to plant that I was out! As I keep horrible notes (read:nonexistent) I didn't realize that until I went to plant them and have no idea what they were. Whoops. Don't be like me kids, write down what you plant. So, eventually. I have to buy some seeds!
Zucchini, beans and corn were planted in "Three Sisters" fashion with corn plants interspersed between beans and zucchini. Corn will grow tall, beans will grow up corn and zucchini will provide cover to keep the soil cool. We'll see how it works.
Also transferred my seedlings outside. They'd been hardening off in the porch for the last 2 weeks and had spent the last 3 days outside all the time, figured they were about ready! I have 2 pots of tomatoes, pickling cucumbers (anyone have a good pickle recipe??), hot peppers and sweet peppers. Our backyard has some issues (a later post) so for the moment my two raised beds and containers on the deck are what we have going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment