Saturday, July 30, 2016

MommyCon DC 2016

My sign!!
I'm a week out from MommyCon DC and I have to say, the feeling of community - the buzz, the fun, the energy - is lingering. I had such a great time.

I spoke about ways to be sustainable and how to start your own suburban homestead. I was one of the first speakers of the day but that was fine, gave me a smaller crowd to get my feet wet with that level of speaking and gave me the rest of the day to hear speakers and enjoy the exhibit hall (which I did, immensely!). I'm planning an upcoming blog post covering what I discussed so more about that.

After my talk, I enjoyed a talk entitled Queering the Birth Space that dealt with being purposefully inclusive in birth work. It isn't enough to being open to LGBTQIA+ and other nontraditional families. Value is in actively seeking them out and ensuring that they know that the services are there for them in both our actions and in our words and in our education. While I no longer work as a birth worker, I do hold great value in their work and in inclusivity. I really enjoyed what she had to say.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sit in on anything else! I was privileged to be able to assist in the facilitation of a conversation on raising racially conscious children that was a late addition to the schedule. When the email went out announcing that this was happening, I (and damn near everyone else that got the email) was shocked to see that both of the facilitators were white presenting women. I decided to contact MommyCon and ask if I could help. It was wholly inappropriate to have that conversation without a black voice in the lead. I found out that while they had tried to find someone, all the women of color that they'd asked had declined. The facilitators that they did have were from the University of Maryland and did this as professionals. MommyCon was thrilled to have me volunteer and agreed that it was needed. I was very happy with how the conversation went. While I'm not a professional anything by any means I really enjoyed talking and sharing my views and my only complaint was that we needed more time.
I also bought a bumper sticker with placentas on it because of course I did.

The exhibitor space was amazing. So many vendors and information tables and SWAG. Yall, I bought $25 worth of butter. There were people there with this AMAZING ghee and I had to have it. Browned ghee on bread almost tastes caramelized. It was so good.

This was my second MommyCon and I loved speaking. While I do wish there were more brown faces there I enjoy the feeling of community. Here's to next year!



Xza. The Mama behind it all.



My swag

Babywearing in my MommyCon shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment