Thursday, July 7, 2016

Groundhog, revisited

That damn groundhog!
Do you know how much food I'd have eaten over the last few years if it wasn't for that furry butted scoundrel? Last year I had Alden in June so the garden really took back burner. The groundhog ate every single tomato the moment it started to turn even a little bit red and every bean and cucumber plant right down to the ground. Towards the end of the season I made some AMAZING green tomato salsa with what I could get out but still the whole season was a wash.
This year we tore out all our old fencing and replaced it with new and better reinforced and moved our beds around so they'd all be in one place and in one fence.
He's still getting in.
Imagine my surprise when I read that fences are pretty much useless against groundhogs because they can dig 4 feet straight down! FOUR FEET!
As soon as we find where he's getting in and block one hole he's coming in another one.
The other day I visited my favorite tiny house homestead to borrow a havahart trap. It's baited with cantaloupe and waiting for him. It was initially placed where he's coming in but it seems he's found another entrance to come in since we set the trap and eaten even more!
Now the question is, what so we do with it once we find it? Rehome or eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment